Promotions are conducted in accordance with the University Academic Reappointment/Promotion Instructions. Please also reference the 2022-2023 Reappointment/Promotion Instructions Memo and Instructions.
Assistant Professor Ranks
Associate Professor Ranks and Above
- Academic Promotions for Non-Tenure Track Faculty
- NTT General Appointment/Reappointment/Promotion Criteria
- NTT Faculty Promotion Process Packet Handout 2019-2020
- SAS Packet Depository
AAUP-AFT NTT Faculty - Option to Exclude Evaluations
Please be advised that the University recently entered into an agreement on March 31, 2022 with the AAUP-AFT and PTL union to provide Non-Tenure Track (NTT) faculty and Part-Time Lecturers (PTLs) with the option to exclude certain evaluations from NTT promotion and reappointment packets and PTL appointment and advancement decisions. For purposes of implementing this option for eligible AAUP-AFT NTTs and PTLs, please be guided by the following:
Requirements and Parameters:
- NTT faculty whose review for reappointment or promotion has been initiated by a department or unit on March 31, 2022 or later have the option to exclude Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 teaching evaluations from promotion and reappointment packets submitted during academic year 2021-2022 or later.
- More specifically, this option applies to: (1) NTT faculty reappointments to the same rank and promotions to the rank of assistant professor and equivalent for academic year 2021-2022 or later governed by the Short Form – Non-libraries (“Short Form”), which are initiated by a department or unit on March 31, 2022 or later; and (2) NTT faculty promotions equivalent to the rank of Associate Professor and above for academic year 2021-2022 or later governed by the Academic Promotion Instructions for NTT faculty (Non-libraries) (“NTT Promotion Instructions (Non-libraries)”), which are initiated by a department or unit on March 31, 2022 or later.
- There will be no retroactive application of this option for NTTs. This option does not apply to NTT faculty whose review for reappointment or promotion has already completed or where review was initiated by a department or unit on a date prior to March 31, 2022.
- NTT faculty meeting the foregoing criteria and who wish to exercise this option, including NTT faculty evaluated on the Short Form, should complete and submit Supplemental Form NTT 1 which is available on the website of the Office of University Labor Relations (OULR) at https://laborrelations.rutgers.edu/faculty/non-tenure-track-faculty-non-libraries.
- The 2021-2022 NTT Promotion Instructions (Non-libraries) and the Short Form have been revised to include this option for NTTs whose review for promotion has been initiated by a department or unit on March 31, 2022 or later.
- The Short Form has been updated with instructions directing eligible NTTs to complete Supplemental Form NTT 1. Please see new language in shaded text on page 1 of the Short Form which may be downloaded from OULR’s website at the same link above.
- The 2021-2022 NTT Promotion Instructions (Non-libraries) have been updated to advise of this new option. Please see new language in shaded text on pages 2, 6, 11 and 13 of the Instructions which may be downloaded from OULR’s website at the same link above.