Approval authority is an important business function and is taken very seriously by Rutgers University and the School of Arts and Sciences.
In granting approver status to an administrator, there are basic expectations needed:
- Approvers must have a working knowledge of basic accounting and budgeting concepts as well as purchasing guidelines
- must be able to access, interpret and apply University policies; budget, expenditure and commitment information; and grant and gift regulations and policies
- must be able to exercise professional judgment and due diligence when determining if an expenditure or transaction is reasonable, appropriate and necessary
- must be able to ensure expenditures are within budget
- are expected to attend training programs and use desktop computing tools including online applications