Faculty Salary Equity Adjustments
Article 8, Part Five, B of the current faculty contract between the University and the Rutgers AAUP-AFT makes provisions for salary adjustments based on equity. The language of the contract states:
The University may increase the salary of a member or members of the AAUP-AFT Bargaining unit in order to make equity adjustments based on factors such as external market salary benchmarks within relevant markets, the faculty member's individual benchmarking information, including but not limited to, teaching, service, and research achievements, and other relevant accomplishments, compared to relevant peers and with the recognition that Rutgers University prohibits discrimination based on any legally protected classifications, including but not limited to, gender and race.
To implement this provision of the contract, SAS has established the following process:
- The faculty member's request should include supporting documentation which may include but need not be limited to the following:
- The faculty member's rank, department, school and field of study;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- A factual statement detailing why the faculty member is requesting an equity adjustment, with supporting documentation which may include but need not be limited to teaching, research, and service achievements and accomplishments;other relevant productivity and performance indicators; information regarding the quality and/or significance of the publication outlets in which the faculty member's work appears; notable courses and curriculum development and service to the University, the profession, and the public; and specific institutional and individual faculty comparators; and
- Other documentation the faculty member wishes to submit.
- Upon receipt of the submission of the faculty member, the Dean will communicate with UHR Compensation Services regarding the date for submission of the Dean's written comments and materials.
- The Dean will submit comments and materials to UHR Compensation Services copying the faculty member, no later than four (4) weeks from receipt of the faculty member's request.
- Subsequent stages of the process will be managed by UHR and the Chancellor's Office, as stipulated in the contract.
For more information on Faculty Salary Equity, please see the University Faculty Salary Equity Review Guidelines in supplement to the 2018-22 University/AAUP-AFT Agreement, Article 8, Part Five, B.
Faculty Salary Equity Review Request Form - Faculty should complete parts I and II of this form (including assembly of supporting documentation).
Summer/Winter Session Background Check /Waiver Process
There has been confusion over the process of background check certification/waivers for Summer/Winter Session instructors. After working with University Human Resources and Summer/Winter Session, the following process has been established:
- Department Administrators enter the instructors into DICES (Departmental Interactive Course Editing System)
- Summer/Winter Session compiles a report of instructor names and provides it to UHR
- UHR reviews the instructors work history at Rutgers University and determines whether a background check certification or waiver is required
- UHR notifies Summer/Winter Session of the instructors who require a background check and provides waivers to those who do not
- Summer/Winter Session will provide the instructor names of those who require background checks to the departments via email
- Departments will create a posting for Summer/Winter Session which will be posted internally. The departments will send the instructors the link so they can apply.
- Title: Instructor - Summer Session 2019
- Departments will move the instructors through the ROCS workflow. Once in finalist, the background check begins
Summer/Winter Session sent over the first set of names to UHR last week. Department Administrators who entered the names into DICES should be receiving notification from Summer/Winter Session via email on or about March 22, 2019. Additional instructor names will be sent over to UHR next week to capture new entries into DICES.
Please be advised that no instructors will be permitted to teach Summer/Winter Session without a background check certification or waiver. It would be advisable to follow up with the instructor once in the finalist role in ROCS to ensure they have consented to the background check. If the consent is not received, the background check cannot begin.