The successor collective negotiations agreement beginning July 1, 2018 was recently ratified. The PTL/Coad Appointment Portal has been updated to accept these changes and fall appointments can now be entered at this time.
- For PTLs who were appointed during Academic Year 2018-2019: University Human Resources is processing corrections to those salaries. Departments do not need to take any action in this regard.
- For PTL appointments during Academic Year 2019-2020: The minimum base salary rate for union eligible PTLs for Fall 2019 is $1831 per credit except for courses in the PALS program and Mason Gross studio PTLs (hourly rates for instruction in the PALS program is $55 per hour for the Intensive and Evening programs and $62 for the Corporate Program). A unit member whose base salary is above the prevailing minima shall receive a 3% across-the-board per credit increase.
Part-Time Lecturer (also referred to as a “PTL”) is an employee hired to teach either: a full course (including a laboratory course) for one full semester or to teach a recitation section for a full semester, or at least two consecutive seven-week courses in a semester, or at least a 12-week course in a semester in the PALS Program, and who performs services associated only with that course and is not otherwise Rutgers employee, such as preparation of syllabus, grading examinations and papers, and meeting students during assigned office hours.
Coadjutants (also referred to as "Co-ads") are individuals who either teach during the academic year and are otherwise regularly appointed employees with a 50% or more Class 1 appointment, or individuals who teach less than a full semester during an academic year. Co-adjutant Non-Teaching Appointments are employees who do research and other non-teaching academic support duties when the individual is hired for less than a semester or for a full Fall or Spring semester.
A ROCS posting will need to be created for the candidate to apply. Please see below for useful resources regarding the ROCS faculty posting. Once the Finalist is identified, this will also initiate the background check process.
- Faculty Posting Steps
- Faculty Application Workflow Guide
- Bulk Dispositions Workflow
- Applicant Reviewer Role
- Initiator/Authorizer 1 Role
- Search Commitee
An appointment letter will be generated via the PTL/Coad Appointment System. Once the request flows throughout each approval process, a letter will be forwarded to the employee and copied to the department, which will serve as an attachment document in HCM. Please have the employee complete the Oath or Affirmation (required for first time appointments) and Determination of Titles form and retain the origionals in the department. You will be responsible for producing these forms when they are requested.
After completion of a successful background check and signed offer letter, the candidate should contact the SAS On-boarding Team to complete the necessary new hire paperwork.
If this is considered a reappointment, the department can enter the Request for Reappointment in HCM by attaching the appropriate documents.
For SAS specific questions regarding PTL/Coad appointments , please contact:
For Humanities and Social & Behavioral Sciences: contact Tamara Pakela