I-9 and On-boarding Process


If an employee will continue to work for the University and his/her work authorization documents are due to expire, an I-9 re-verification will need to be processed. The re-verification needs to be updated on or before the date the current work authorization expires to ensure the employee is still authorized to work. If the I-9 is not updated before the current work authorization expires, the employee is not eligible to continue working. The I-9 and current payroll records will be terminated. 

SAS-HR will send the department and/or employee a friendly reminder, as appropriate, regarding the employees whom are due for an I-9 re-verification. They will also request updated work authorization documents at that time.

Renewed work authorization documents may include:  

  • Unexpired Foreign Passport
  • Most Recent I-94
  • Visa document (I-20, DS-2019, HIB)

  • If the employee is no longer on a visa, but has since received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) or has become a Permanent Resident, a front and back copy of the respective card will suffice. 

If the employee does not have the approved documents but does have the USCIS receipt notice (Form I-797C) showing he/she timely filed for an extension, a 90 day extension can be added to the I-9 until the approved documents are received.

For more information on the I-9 re-verification process, you may visit the Department of Homeland Security website here.

In order to process your I-9 re-verification within SAS, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to submit the updated work authorization documents. 

School Administration Offices