All Staff positions must be submitted through the Recruitment, Onboarding, and Classification System, otherwise known as ROCS. This online system allows you to monitor the process of your job position. In the ROCS system, you will be able to submit the required forms, review potential candidates, obtain the necessary approvals electronically, and finalize the hiring proposal. A Classification and Recruitment Form, otherwise known as ROCS CARF, will need to be submitted in the system to capture information of new, vacant, and encumbered staff positions. It captures the key responsibilities and other relevant information.
COLT employees (aligned): Local 1761 of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees. A labor union representing clerical, secretarial, office,laboratory, and technical staff. The AFSCME LOCAL 1761 (COLT) agreement from September 1, 2014-June 30, 2018 can be found here.
MPSC employees (non-aligned): Managerial, professional, supervisory, and confidential staff positions. When these positions become vacant, they are available to Rutgers employees and the public simultaneously.
URA-AFT employees (aligned): A collective bargaining unit that represents all regularly employed administrative employees. The URA-AFT agreement from September 1, 2014-June 30, 2018 can be found here.
Hiring ResourcesHow to Design a Job
Recruitment, Onboarding, and Classification System (ROCS)
Classification and Recruitment Form (CARF)
New Employee Orientation Toolkit for Managers
Supervisor's Checklist for Orienting New Employees
A reclassification is a change from one job position/title to another that can result in an increase in pay. Reclassification usually occurs as a result of one of the following:
- A vacant position exists that a supervisor wants to change to a different position to better meet the needs of the department.
- An employee in a current position has mastered all job elements to the point where they now meet the requirements of an existing higher level position.
- Pull existing Classification and Recruitment Form (CARF) outlining the key responsibilities and other related information about the position in question.This is not required for COLT vacancies where the duties, title, and range remain the same.
- Design new CARF outlining key responsibilities
- Pull organization chart
An in-grade request can be made when an employee in a current position has mastered all job elements and has taken on more responsibility or additional duties.
- Complete Salary In-Range/Grade Adjustment Request Form
- Submit a Justification Letter